Surviving Child

A Surviving Child of a Retiree is only eligible to continue coverage if he/she was covered by SHBP as a dependent at the time of the Retiree’s death and are receiving an immediate annuity.

  • How Is SHBP Notified That the Surviving Child Is Receiving an Immediate Annuity?

    The Retiree’s State Retirement system will transmit the Surviving Child’s record via file to SHBP which will include data such as effective start date of the annuity, the Retiree’s years of service as of 1/1/2012, and the Retiree’s total years of service.

  • If SHBP Is Notified That the Surviving Child Is Receiving an Immediate Annuity, What Happens Next?
    1. SHBP sets up a new account in the SHBP Enrollment Portal for the Child, and he/she may access their coverage information by:
      • Visiting the SHBP Enrollment Portal 24 Hours a Day/7 Days Per Week (for instructions on registering or logging in the SHBP Enrollment Portal, click here), or
      • Contacting SHBP Member Services, Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET and Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
    2. Monthly premiums are deducted from the Surviving Child’s annuity. If the annuity is not sufficient to cover the Monthly premiums or if the monthly premium is more than $690.00 per month in Plan Year 2024, SHBP will place the Child on Direct Pay and bill them directly for their monthly premiums via ADP’s subcontractor, Wex.
  • What happens If the Surviving Child Does Not Receive an Immediate Annuity?

    The Surviving Child may continue coverage under the COBRA provisions.

  • Can a Surviving Child add new dependents?


  • How Long Can a Surviving Child Remain Covered by SHBP?

    A Surviving Child may remain covered by SHBP until Age 26. His/her coverage will terminate the last day of the month of their 26th birthday, unless SHBP has approved him/her for continuation of coverage as a disabled dependent child prior to turning age 26.

  • What Happens If a Retiree’s Surviving Child is employed with an SHBP Employing Entity?

    Surviving Children who become eligible for SHBP coverage due to their employment in a benefits eligible position may enroll in benefits through their Employer.

  • If a Retiree’s Surviving Child elects coverage as an Active Member during his/her employment with an SHBP Employing Entity, what happens when he/she terminates employment?

    He/she may transition back to coverage as a Surviving Child.

    • To transition back to Surviving Child coverage, he/she MUST notify SHBP within 31 days of terminating employment by contacting SHBP Member Services at [email protected] or 800-610-1863, Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET and Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
    • The Surviving Child is not required to transition back to coverage as a Surviving Child and may continue coverage based on their eligibility as a terminating employee or Retiree, as applicable.
  • What Plan Options are available for a Retiree’s Surviving Child?

    Surviving Children are eligible for the same coverage as an Active Member’s child. You may visit the Active Member section of our website for information on Plan Options and Rates.