If you have loss coverage as a Current or Former SHBP Dependent Child due to Turning Age 26, based on your status as an eligible employee with an SHBP Employing Entity, you may enroll in SHBP coverage:
You may take this opportunity to enroll yourself, your spouse and/or child(ren) in coverage.
Note: This event is only for a current or former SHBP Dependent Child who will or has aged out (i.e. turned 26), which resulted or will result in them losing coverage as current or former SHBP Dependent Child under another SHBP Member.
Within 31 days of your Loss of coverage as a Current or Former SHBP Dependent Child due to Turning Age 26…
Within 31 days of your loss of coverage, you must declare the event by notifying SHBP Member Services by:
- Visiting the SHBP Enrollment Portal 24 Hours a Day/7 Days Per Week (for instructions on registering or logging in the SHBP Enrollment Portal, click here), or
- Contacting SHBP Member Services at 800-610-1863, Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET and Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
If you fail to timely notify SHBP Member Services, you will not have another opportunity, unless you experience another Qualifying Event or Special Enrollment Event to make a change to your coverage.
Within 45 days after you notify SHBP Member Services...
Within 45 days after you notify SHBP Member Services, you must provide the following:
- Copy of SHBP COBRA Package documenting the eligible employee’s loss of coverage, including, 1) name of individual that lost coverage, 2) date of the loss of coverage and 3) reason for the loss of coverage and/or discontinuation of coverage due to turning age 26;
- Copy of Letter from parent’s employer - the SHBP Employing Entity documenting the eligible employee’s coverage loss, including 1) name of individual that lost coverage, 2) date of the loss of coverage, and 3) reason for the loss of coverage and/or discontinuation of coverage due to turning age 26; or
- Copy of SHBP Dependent Age Out Letter sent to parent due to the eligible employee (former Dependent Child) turn
If you are adding a spouse, you must provide:
- Certified copy of a marriage license or most recent jointly filed Federal Tax Return which includes legible signatures for both member and spouse
- Spouse’s Social Security Number (if your spouse does not have an SSN, please see information here)
If you are adding a dependent child(ren), you must provide:
- Copy of a certified birth certificate or birth card issued by the hospital listing parents by name
- Social Security Number of each child you would like to cover (if your child does not have an SSN, please see information here)
To assist you in providing the verification documentation...
To assist you in providing the verification documentation, our Dependent Verification Services (DVS) team will send you a letter with a unique bar code from SHBP within 1 to 2 business days via email if you have an email address on file; and if no email address is on file, the letter will be mailed to you within 2 to 4 business days if you have an address on file. This process is referred to as your DVS Audit and you and/or your dependent(s) as applicable, will not be enrolled in SHBP coverage until you provide the necessary verification documentation proving eligibility for coverage and the DVS team approves your Audit.
Please do not submit verification documentation until you receive your letter from DVS. Providing documentation to anyone, including your employer or other entity not appointed by SHBP for this purpose, or via any other means not provided for in this letter will result in you failing the DVS Audit. If you fail the DVS Audit, you must wait until the next Open Enrollment period, unless you experience another Qualifying Event or Special Enrollment Event to make a change to your coverage.
Need to Speak with Someone?
If you need to speak with a member of the DVS team, please contact SHBP Member Services via email at [email protected] or via phone at 800-610-1863 and select the appropriate prompt for Dependent Verification Services.